[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Apr 27 21:06:33 EDT 2011

Bill,

> William Herrin wrote:
> Let me suggest a counterpoint: demonstrated need is a complete and
> utter crock. Under the rules we so frequently champion, someone in
> Microsoft's position can trivially construct a demonstrated need
> for virtually any number of IP addresses.

Furthermore, even if one is not as big as Microsoft, there are some
companies out there such as http://www.tradeipv4.com that would gladly
do that kind of thing, for a fee naturally. You don't have to be
Microsoft to pull that kind of think anymore. It will happen again with
smaller players.

> So sure, John could be massaging the truth and Microsoft could be
> circumventing the system. But why would either of them bother to do
so?

I find this comment naive. Microsoft and other large organization employ
armies of attorneys, lobbyists, PR people, etc. What do you think these
people do all day, if not "presenting things in a light favorable to
their employers"?

As of ARIN, one of the parts that is troubling me is that ARIN used a PR
firm to write these press releases. I have the same level of trust in
this kind of communication that I have with the Japanese government
telling that the nuclear situation is under control. No, it's not.

So, if some liberties were taken and if it was the only or the best
thing to do, I say so be it. I would not like to be in John's shoes
right now. But until more transparency is reached, the cloud of doubt
will persist. This community has to come to understand the reality that
trading of IP addresses is happening right now, and that if the policies
currently in placed have pushed John to take some liberties, it's
because the policies are wrong.

Michel.