[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 22 13:04:05 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Chris Grundemann
<cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two possible scenarios currently:
> i. We do not change policy and ARIN staff may return space now.
> ii. We implement 2011-6 as currently revised and ARIN staff may not
> return space now but may once a global policy for the re-allocation of
> space through the IANA has passed all five regions.

Hi Chris,

Actually, there is a third possible scenario. Frank or I or anyone
else can petition. With 10 statements of support the other version
will also move to last call.

This issue isn't important enough to me to initiate a petition, but I
would support one if someone else finds it important enough.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> The ASO AC has abandoned work on that proposal, so, I'm not
> sure whether the sudden ratification by the other registries would
> have that effect or not. I believe once the policy is abandoned
> by the ASO AC, it would require a 5-registry approval to revive it.

As I understand it, only the first proposal (where ARIN's version was
different than the rest) has been formally abandoned. The second
version (initiated at ARIN) is still pending but the other regions
aren't seriously considering it. That was as of a month or so ago, so
maybe something has changed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004