[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Apr 22 11:26:10 EDT 2011

Comments in-line.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Grundemann [mailto:cgrundemann at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 10:04 AM
To: frnkblk at iname.com
Cc: William Herrin; arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 22:08, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> I don't like how 2011-6 was re-written and much prefer Bill's original
> version.
> a) I don't want address returned to IANA.  If sometime down the road we
feel
> that we have too much we can always change the policy, but for now, let's
> keep them inside ARIN.

There are two possible scenarios currently:
i. We do not change policy and ARIN staff may return space now.
ii. We implement 2011-6 as currently revised and ARIN staff may not
return space now but may once a global policy for the re-allocation of
space through the IANA has passed all five regions.

With that in mind, do you support or oppose ARIN-2011-6 as revised for
last call?

FB> I oppose ARIN-2011-6 as revised.

> b) Leave the specific timeline for re-deployment to ARIN staff.  The
> implication is that it should be as soon as reasonably possible.

Can you clarify this please? Are you saying that you prefer a specific
timeline or that you prefer the current as soon as practicable
language?

FB> I prefer the current "as soon as practicable" language.

> Can someone clarify -- can an entity give non-ARIN space "back" to ARIN?

AFAIK, space from other regions can not be returned to ARIN, but all
space in the ARIN region (under ARIN stewardship) can be.

FB> Thanks for clarifying.

Your feedback will help the AC when considering this policy, thanks!
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann
weblog.chrisgrundemann.com