[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:04:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 22:08, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> I don't like how 2011-6 was re-written and much prefer Bill's original
> version.
> a) I don't want address returned to IANA.  If sometime down the road we feel
> that we have too much we can always change the policy, but for now, let's
> keep them inside ARIN.

There are two possible scenarios currently:
i. We do not change policy and ARIN staff may return space now.
ii. We implement 2011-6 as currently revised and ARIN staff may not
return space now but may once a global policy for the re-allocation of
space through the IANA has passed all five regions.

With that in mind, do you support or oppose ARIN-2011-6 as revised for
last call?

> b) Leave the specific timeline for re-deployment to ARIN staff.  The
> implication is that it should be as soon as reasonably possible.

Can you clarify this please? Are you saying that you prefer a specific
timeline or that you prefer the current as soon as practicable
language?

> Can someone clarify -- can an entity give non-ARIN space "back" to ARIN?

AFAIK, space from other regions can not be returned to ARIN, but all
space in the ARIN region (under ARIN stewardship) can be.

Your feedback will help the AC when considering this policy, thanks!
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann
weblog.chrisgrundemann.com