[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:10:21 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> > Draft Policy ARIN-2011-6
> > Returned IPv4 Addresses
> >
> > Policy statement:
> >
> > 4.1.9 Returned IPv4 Addresses
> >
> > Until a global policy which clearly defines a mechanism for the
> > re-allocation of IPv4 addresses returned to the IANA is adopted by all
> > five regions and implemented at the IANA which clearly defines a
> > mechanism for the re-allocation of IPv4 addresses returned to the IANA;
>
> This fundamentally changes the character of the proposal. The point of
> the original proposal was to tell ARIN what to do with returned
> addresses -until further notice-, not to tell them what to do pending
> activity at IANA.

That's why I explicitly called out the change.

> We don't want addresses returned to IANA. Period. Unconditionally.
> Someday we'll change our minds, but not today. Please stop sneaking
> exceptions back in and pretending it's the same policy proposal.

I don't see any attempt to sneak anything in here.  The sentiment in San
Juan was pretty clear that the community did not support the policy proposal
as written.  But rather than abandoning this proposal, or putting it back on
the docket until the Philadelphia meeting, I (and others) felt it was
important to advance the part of the proposal that did have consensus, due
to the timeliness of the issue.

It would also be entirely reasonable, IMO, to make another proposal to do
something along the lines of this proposal's original intent, if you feel it
would be likely to achieve consensus.  I don't think such a proposal would
be good for the global Internet community, but it's certainly a valid topic
for continued discussion in light of the continued efforts to come to
consensus with other regions on global policy for the distribution of IPv4
addresses from IANA to the RIRs.

-Scott