[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Apr 19 13:50:29 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2011-6
> Returned IPv4 Addresses
>
> Policy statement:
>
> 4.1.9 Returned IPv4 Addresses
>
> Until a global policy which clearly defines a mechanism for the
> re-allocation of IPv4 addresses returned to the IANA is adopted by all
> five regions and implemented at the IANA which clearly defines a
> mechanism for the re-allocation of IPv4 addresses returned to the IANA;

This fundamentally changes the character of the proposal. The point of
the original proposal was to tell ARIN what to do with returned
addresses -until further notice-, not to tell them what to do pending
activity at IANA.

We don't want addresses returned to IANA. Period. Unconditionally.
Someday we'll change our minds, but not today. Please stop sneaking
exceptions back in and pretending it's the same policy proposal.

> all IPv4 addresses returned to, recovered, or revoked by ARIN will be
> made available for allocation or assignment in the ARIN region as
> quickly as practicable.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004