[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Mon Apr 18 15:36:20 EDT 2011

> Milton L Mueller wrote:
> MSFT signed an LRSA, not an RSA. The specific terms of the LRSA
> signed by MSFT is not available, although the language suggests
> that it might be customized to this particular situation.

As said earlier, I still think it would be beneficial for everyone to
make the LRSA public. More for the sake of transparency and clarity than
anything else. It would be good both for ARIN PR and MSFT, I think.

> Because it is now clear that legacy holders can sell
> addresses without entering into a contract with ARIN,

This is hardly new; legacy blocks have been "sold" before. What is new
in this case is the high-profile of the purchaser and the amount
involved. And the most important of all: that they got a bankruptcy
court to bless the deal, so to speak. This creates a legal precedent
that is going to be hard to ignore.

All things considered, I tend to share Milton's views on this; I am
leaning towards the position that for the most part, what has been done
is what needed to be done given time and resources constraints.

This was meant to be for a long time; some of this community members are
mistaken in thinking that they are empowered to declare that there can't
be any trading of legacy assets and that just because they say so, it
won't happen. Let's call this a wake-up call, shall we?

Michel.