[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 18 13:54:36 EDT 2011

On Apr 18, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>> Because it is now clear that legacy holders can sell addresses without entering into a contract with ARIN, should the transfer policy be altered to reflect the fact that it is basically a voluntary decision of the buying parties to interface with the ARIN contractual regime?
>>
>> I believe this event shows how short-sighted the community is being in deep-sixing Bensons's proposal(s). That would have started a process to deal with this situation more systematically.
>>

> Hm.
> What about adding a mandatory field to the Whois database output:
> "Agreement:" which would list one of three possible values:
> LRSA, RSA, or None.
>
> Networks could then make decisions about whether or not they wished
> to accept routes from that organization based on the nature of the relationship
> between that organization and the RIR.  A paranoid or fascist network might
> opt to not accept routes from entities whose Agreement field was set to
> anything other than "RSA".  A slightly less paranoid network might allow
> RSA or LRSA, but drop prefixes from entities with "None".  Liberal network
> policies would accept prefixes from anyone, regardless of their relationship
> to the RIR.

I actually don't think that treating LRSA and RSA covered networks differently
is particularly warranted.

However, I do support the idea of making the ARIN contract or lack thereof
visible in whois. I would accept LRSA/RSA/None, but, considering it more
thoroughly, I think perhaps "Contract: Yes/No" might be a better option.

> Would that provide a means for the community to add some teeth into the
> mix, to potentially ostracize networks that do not opt to adopt some level
> of formal relationship with the RIR?

It would, indeed. I don't think that would be a bad thing.

Owen