[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:26:26 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Michel Py
<michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:
>> Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> MSFT signed an LRSA, not an RSA. The specific terms of the LRSA
>> signed by MSFT is not available, although the language suggests
>> that it might be customized to this particular situation.
>
> As said earlier, I still think it would be beneficial for everyone to
> make the LRSA public. More for the sake of transparency and clarity than
> anything else. It would be good both for ARIN PR and MSFT, I think.
>

>> Because it is now clear that legacy holders can sell
>> addresses without entering into a contract with ARIN,
>
> This is hardly new; legacy blocks have been "sold" before. What is new
> in this case is the high-profile of the purchaser and the amount
> involved. And the most important of all: that they got a bankruptcy
> court to bless the deal, so to speak. This creates a legal precedent
> that is going to be hard to ignore.

you may be correct on this one, however, at least one government has
weighed in on this matter already, which I think is at least as
significant, if not more in the grand scheme of things.

http://chapter11.epiqsystems.com/NNI/docket/Default.aspx

File #5253..(click the "Document" hypertext, then click on the
filename that appears under it).

My reading of this doc suggests that Canada is not going to stand idly
by whilst folk try to flog legacy space hither and yon.... of course,
YMMV.

--
Cheers,

McTim