[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

cja@daydream.com packetgrrl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:19:36 EDT 2011

I really thought I would stay out of this discussion but when the word
muzzled came up I really took offense.  The AC members are all very active
in the policy development process.   We write drafts, we work with community
members to get their policy needs met.  We often speak at other meetings,
NANOG, IETF, etc to get input from other communities. Sometimes at ARIN
meetings AC members are the only people at the microphones.  We vote on
recommending policies to the ARIN board for adoption. We participate on
ppml. We are not muzzled in any way at all.   13 of the 15 AC members voted
for this standing rule which says simply that we can't be counted but
specifically states that we can voice our opinions regarding a petition.

I can't speak for the entire AC but I feel that we have such a huge say in
the process that being able to petition our own actions is too much.  I feel
that the threshold of 10 people speaking in support of a petition is a very
low bar and if there aren't 10 non-AC members speaking for a petition then
the issue probably isn't worth revisiting. I am sure non-AC folks on the
ppml will speak up for things they feel strongly about. It's not like you're
a silent bunch.  :-)

Also please note that it is stated in the minutes (link below) that the
revised PDP is expected to have language regarding petitions that is similar
to the AC standing rule.

Thanks
----Cathy

Ps. The meeting minutes and vote count are here
https://www.arin.net/about_us/ac/ac2011_0128.html
All 15 of us were in attendance for this vote.