[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Apr 16 15:54:44 EDT 2011

On Apr 16, 2011, at 3:38 PM, "Matthew Kaufman" <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2011, at 11:13 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> And so the open and transparent IPv4 transfer market opens.

Correct.

> We can't even tell what policies ARIN is following in thus case, never mind whether or not they were/are being followed. How can we possibly then know what policy changes might be warranted?

I'd start with the Policy Experience report presented earlier this week, which has some notes for consideration.

We have managed to improve policy over the years without direct reporting of individual requests, and 8.3 transfers are not different.

(and to the extent that you want speciic detailed reporting of such, thats very important to start proposing ASAP)

> And how does the process abd outcome of this transfer guide the behavior of future market participants?

There are indeed parties that are seeking more than just the 3 months worth of IPv4 address space that ARIN can allocate at present, there are those with unneeded resources who wish to
make them available, and those willing willing to assist in pairing them up.  This seems to all be good news.

I'll note that ARIN did have to specifically reiterate the existence of the Specified Transfer policy and our
commitment to following it when processing transfer requests.  In my
view, it would be great if we saw some future transfers which considered the community policies up-front, but that's impossible to predict.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN