[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without networkservice

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Apr 12 19:38:46 EDT 2011

Perhaps someone would like to offer an opinion on whether or not the
following services would be permitted under the proposed policy:

1) I sell you Internet transit over a T-1 loop and let you use a /20 of
my space.

2) I sell you Internet transit over a GRE tunnel and let you use a /20
of my space.

3) I sell you Internet transit over a GRE tunnel, let you use a /20 of
my space, and give you a letter (LOA) allowing you to have a second
transit provider announce that /20 so that you may multihome using the
space.

4) I sell you inbound-only Internet transit over a GRE tunnel (I
black-hole any traffic you send me), let you use a /20 of my space, give
you the LOA.

5) I sell you cheap and limited Internet transit over a GRE tunnel, but
my only connectivity is a single peer at a regional exchange, so you
can't get to "the whole Internet" without using the LOA and multihoming
(which I allow)

6) I sell you a "network service" over a GRE tunnel which lets you
access a few servers I run in RFC1918 space that you can store backups
on, I let you use a /20 of my space at your end to access those servers,
and I give you an LOA so you can also use this space with your other
transit provider.

7) We forget the above GRE tunnel nonsense because it is a waste of time
to pretend we actually set it up, I sell you use of a /20 of my space
and give you the LOA.

Matthew Kaufman