[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 8 15:49:03 EDT 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

>> Please define where I have missed my intent so I can better clarify it.
>>

> Just say "assigns address space to networks directly connected through a layer 2 circuit" or something. "users of the network services it provides" is exactly as vague as things are now.
>
> Can I just give them a shell account or a POP email account and they're a "user of the network services"? Totally unclear.

Neither of those is network service. Those are shell and email services possibly provided over a
network, but, they are not the provision of network services. If you would like, I can happily
define network services in section 2 of the NRPM as being the service of actually delivering
packets not necessarily related to the provision of a particular application, but, really, is
that actually necessary? Are you really so confused by the meaning of the term network
services?

> If you want to explicitly require or prohibit something, come out and say it.

In general, I don't want to explicitly require or prohibit anything beyond the provision of
address space without the provision of network services. I believe that's what I came
out and said, so, I'm still confused as to where you see a disconnect between what
I said and what I meant. Yes, you produced a nice straw man for a semi-plausible
misinterpretation of the term network services. I'm not opposed to adding the
clarification of that term to the policy if you feel it is necessary... Something like:

Add to section 2:

2.12	The term network services shall mean the delivery of arbitrary packets
		based on the destination prefix and not necessarily related to any
		particular application or higher-layer service. Examples would include
		IP routing, IP transit, network connectivity, etc.

Owen