[arin-ppml] Encouraging public participation in the PDP

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri May 28 10:31:39 EDT 2010

On May 28, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Fri, May 28, 2010 at 01:07:57PM +0200, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> The Board is in the process of modifying (and hopefully improving) the
>> PDP. What changes would you (or anyone else) recommend to make the
>
> While the Board has a number of folks with excellent credentials
> for writing a PDP they are also knee deep in implementing the PDP.
> I fear that this leads to a sort of myopia on the authors part where
> more focus is given to issues that were recently near and dear.  It
> doesn't pass the sniff test that the Board is one of the checks and
> balances, but is authoring the process.
>
> At a minimum, I believe the Board should have an independent third
> party expert in public policy process review whatever they come up
> with before implementation.  At a maximum, such a person should be
> involved with drafting the policy.

Leo -

  To be fair, the Board created a committee which contains members
  of the Board and the AC who are familiar with the current PDP.
  Please see the attached extract from the relevant Board minutes.

  While the AC is very involved in use of the PDP to create policy
  and the President oversees the implementation of the PDP, the
  Board is *not* knee deep in implementing the PDP.  Inclusion of
  Board members is desirable because of unequalled knowledge of the
  formation of the PDP at ARIN, and deep experience in developing
  open Internet processes.

  Past revisions of the PDP were done by myself and Scott Bradner,
  with input from ARIN staff. In order to bring in a greater set
  of views, the Board determined that a committee should be used
  to make the next changes, and that multiple Board and AC members
  be included. I consider it an important change to how we evolve
  the PDP, and a step in the right direction.

  With respect to review of the resulting changes, it has been the
  practice of the Board to solicit public review and comment on any
  major PDP changes.  As we now have the ARIN Consultation and
  Suggestion process, I will be recommending that any revised PDP
  go through that process, and that will allow ample opportunity
  for third party review and comment.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO