[arin-ppml] Encouraging public participation in the PDP

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 28 10:57:23 EDT 2010

I believe both Lee and John are missing what I believe to be a
critical difference here.  Most Boards (and I suppose by extension
AC's) draft policies internal to an organization.  ARIN is unique
in that it both holds resources in the public trust, and allows the
full public to participate.

I think the folks who design legislative and electoral processes,
or design public request for comment processes for governments may
bring an entirely different perspective to the fold.

I also think an external review might turn up factors that internal
folks have never considered.  For instance members of the public
have brought up previously how ARIN policy may or may not conflict
with the Virginia Non-Stock Corporation laws.  When that came up
most of the people I talked to, including other AC members at the
time had the reaction of "the what?"  I don't think the Board nor
the AC were experts in the matter.

While public comment and participation is vital, I don't think the
fact that the committee is requesting public input will make experts
in this area magically appear and comment.  My knee deep in it
comment applies equally to the Board, AC, and most of the regular
participants on PPML.