[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 11:31:46 EDT 2010

On Wed 6/30/2010 8:15 AM, Roger Marquis wrote:
> My concern, looking ahead, is what will occur when ARIN's decision making
> process fails this test and financial interests begin exploiting the
> artificial address shortage.  It seems likely that the DOC, judiciaries,
> and/or legislatures will pick-up the ball.  When that happens it is
> likely that ARIN's structure will change as well.
>
> Whether you see this as inevitable or not, as a good thing or not, it
> would be prudent to start planning for it now.  You can bet those with a
> financial interest in the process are.

I've seen some planning on that from ARIN's side, as well.  Among other
anti-takeover measures, they removed the ability to become a member (and
vote in the Board elections) simply by paying $500: you now have to be a
resource holder to become a member.

Do you have any other suggestions for what we (the ARIN policy-making
community) should be doing to prepare for the future pressures you foresee?

-Scott