[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 30 12:33:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Scott Leibrand
<scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen some planning on that from ARIN's side, as well.  Among other
> anti-takeover measures, they removed the ability to become a member (and
> vote in the Board elections) simply by paying $500: you now have to be a
> resource holder to become a member.
>
> Do you have any other suggestions for what we (the ARIN policy-making
> community) should be doing to prepare for the future pressures you foresee?

Thoughts...

It's $500/year extra as an end-user to vote. That's steep enough that
end user orgs by and large won't participate unless their vote has
been bought. Probably too hard to quietly buy votes that way.

Multiple affiliated orgs. How many org-ids with allocations are under
Verizon Business' direct control? Probably only in the tens certainly
not more than the hundreds but it gives them more than one vote.

You must be a direct ARIN resource holder to vote. That locks out
anyone who holds resources from an ARIN LIR. For reasons which should
be obvious, ARIN LIRs emphatically do not represent their
resource-holding customers' interests to ARIN when they vote.

This last one has led to policies that enable and even favor
considerable consumption on the part of the LIRs while suppressing
consumption by end-users. Even had electeds voting against the recent
/24 proposal for crying out loud. Not sure how you fix it; just saying
its been a problem.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004