[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Wed Jun 30 11:15:28 EDT 2010

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> You appear to not understand how ARIN operates. If you read the policy
> process, you might notice that "voting" as not a part of the
> process. Like the IETF, ARIN operates largely by "rough consensus". The
> Board of Trustees and the AC look to the public (not membership) for
> input and direction. It is up to those bodies (and, in the end, the BoT)
> make the decision based on legal, technical and practical analysis of
> the proposal.

Thanks for the clarifications Kevin.  Most of us have read the details on
this list before.  Whether you call it a vote or a rough consensus the
real issue is whether the process is capable of enabling a smooth
transition to IPv6.  Experience indicates that it is not.

My concern, looking ahead, is what will occur when ARIN's decision making
process fails this test and financial interests begin exploiting the
artificial address shortage.  It seems likely that the DOC, judiciaries,
and/or legislatures will pick-up the ball.  When that happens it is
likely that ARIN's structure will change as well.

Whether you see this as inevitable or not, as a good thing or not, it
would be prudent to start planning for it now.  You can bet those with a
financial interest in the process are.

Roger Marquis