[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jun 25 16:29:48 EDT 2010

In a message written on Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 02:32:29PM -0500, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> I think the impact on end hosts would be painful.  Just because my
> Linux laptop doesn't mind (thanks to a kernel hack), it doesn't mean
> the world's web servers etc. are ok...  Getting universal support for
> unicast use of Reserved space is roughly on-scale with the challenges
> of deploying IPv6.

I actually think you have that backwards.

Most Microsoft and Apple products can be fixed via a software update
mechanism already widely deployed.  This would be just another minor
patch to most folks going out in the regular cycle.

I think upgrading all of the routers, including both backbone and
more importantly home gateways is the larger challenge, they don't
have that facility.

But, everyone already has to upgrade those to support IPv6.  Might as
well get an image that gets you IPv6 + reserved space for the price of
one upgrade.