[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 1 11:17:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:21 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> I have the statistics from the time of the membership change
> (Dec 2009) and can provide those numbers to help clarify:
>
>   Approximately 3450 Members who were ISPs
>
>   Approximately   20 Members who were End-Users (with an additional
>                      1440 End-User organizations with RSA who have
>                      had not opted for membership at that time)

Putting these numbers in perspective:

3450 non-trivial ISPs in the ARIN region, all eligible to vote on who
sits on the AC or board

20 non-ISPs in the ARIN region eligible to vote on who sites on the AC or board.

Unknown number of organizations with non-trivial address holdings (/27
or larger). either directly from ARIN or via their ISP in the ARIN
region  Lower bound likely to be at least 100,000.

Non-ISP interests represented during board and AC elections: fraction
of a percent and not a large fraction.

Board power over ARIN policy: few real limits that aren't self-imposed
(hence changeable should we ever fail to elect an "enlightened" board)

1736 votes maximum needed to to replace the board @ $500 each would
cost $868k if ARIN didn't tie membership to orgs directly holding
resources.

Annual dollar value of favorable policy to the transit-free ISPs in
the ARIN region: unknown but surely growing more significant with v4
address exhaustion.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004