[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:17:30 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Joe Morgan <joe at joesdatacenter.com> wrote:
> I am accountable for the utilization of the resources allocated to me
> by arin already. Saying that anyone utilizing a small fraction of it
> should be publicly known is a opinion not a fact. I'm only making this

It's a fact that their contact information must be available for them
to be contacted  related to abuse,  connectivity, or other issues
impacting THEIR network,  or services  offered thereby.      For some
issues,  the contact info of an upstream provider _might_  be
acceptable,  but only if you manage their network and have admin
access to their servers.

You as upstream cannot assist,  if a network device outside of your
management is impacting  their  connectivity  to  another peer,    or
a  misconfigured firewall is  making  their  DNS  server  unavailable
to someone who needs to send them mail.

Please see RFC 1173,   Section 3.
"
3. Responsibilities of Host System Managers
   One or more individuals must be responsible for every host connected
   to the Internet.  This person MUST have the authority, access and
   tools necessary to configure, operate and control access to the
   system.  For important timesharing hosts, primary domain name servers
   and mail relays or gateways, responsible individual(s) SHOULD be
   accessible via telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1173.html#ixzz0e39aoGX7
"

--
-J