[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 29 11:36:04 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Joe Morgan <joe at joesdatacenter.com> wrote:
> I am accountable for the utilization of the resources allocated to me
> by arin already. Saying that anyone utilizing a small fraction of it
> should be publicly known is a opinion not a fact.

Joe,

It's my opinion that process TRANSPARENCY is critical to the operation
of an NGO charged with maintaining a FINITE resource critical to the
function of a multi-billion dollar industry.

It's a fact that transparency requires reporting sufficient for
members of the general public to audit process should they desire to
do so.

It's a fact that ISP address allocations are strictly dependent on
downstream assignments.

It's a fact that an audit can't positively confirm the accuracy of an
end-user assignment without checking with the end-user.

It's thus a conclusion resting solely on fact that transparency in the
allocation process requires members of the general public to be able
to contact the end-users to whom portions of the finite resource are
assigned.

So, the only opinion in the process is how transparent ARIN's
operation should be. Once you decide that, the reporting requirements
for downstream registries (= LIRs = ISPs) follows.

The only way you get rid of this, as a matter of fact, is by unifying
the allocation and assignment policies and moving to an assignment
criteria that's not based on downstream assignment count for
justification.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004