[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

lar at mwtcorp.net lar at mwtcorp.net
Fri Jan 29 13:01:27 EST 2010

I support petition.

No matter what you "want" I know for a fact that only two of the SWIP's I've
filed has anyone on the other end that can even begin the understand what
your talking about. More often than not we end up dispatching a tech to
the customer location to help track down the offending machine if there's
a problem. We file the SWIP anyway as required.

We are talking about requiring disclosing information without the permission
of the end user. (I know ARIN already has that policy and IMHO it's NUTS!)
I have two /29's that I don't SWIP. The customer's have
insisted on it (we hard mask their outbound telephone calls also)
and they have a very good reason. The reason is obvious on it's face and it
is
unlikely to be a problem site. To do otherwise would be negligent at best,
criminal
at worst.

All the "list lawyers" have ruled that the common good and necessity of
disclosure
outweighs the privacy concerns of the users. Does anyone know of a court
that
has made a ruling that supports that? I know that I used to be able to buy a
vehicle plate to owner name cross reference book. It is my understanding
that
the a local court slapped it down. That is not public information.
The police can request the owner of a plate they see only if they have
some legitimate reason and are severly disciplined for requesting that
information for any other reason. You State/Locale may differ.

ARIN's policies need to have the flexibility to deal with the real world.
The real world and the court systems don't really care much about ARIN
policies nor the opinion of this list. Individual cases and reasonable
judgment
has to have a place.

> I am not against commercial transit providers, in fact I am all for
> them.  In fact, anything that enhances competition tends to spur
> innovation and reduce my costs.  This doesn't seem like one of those
> things.

Larry Ash
ARIN ORG: CBS-129
Network Administrator