[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 21:58:20 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Chris Engel
<cengel at sponsordirect.com> wrote: > Bill Herrin wrote:
> "Chris,
> That's great...but I'm not sure how exactly having Joe's contact info really helps you determine whether his /14 is justified?
> As a member of the general public... you can't FORCE Joe to speak with you, right?

You can't FORCE him to physically.    But  when  Joe wants to peer
with your network or get transit from you,  your contact can ask his
contact a few questions  before you agree to let him link up with you
and announce that /24.

Networks are not islands.    Joe's network is not a self-contained
entity like a private  castle.    Members of the public have to be
willing to interact with Joe's network,   e.g. other networks have to
let Joe's traffic pass through,  for Joe to have connectivity using
that IP space.

If many members of the public decide that Joe is not legitimate, and
they will block his use of those addresses, and refuse to peer with
him and receive that /24 prefix,  then  Joe  will have limited or no
connectivity.

You can use WHOIS contacts to assist in investigating Joe's claim that
his organization  has been assigned this /24.

WHOIS may also be used by DNSBLs investigating reports that usages of
certain IP ranges are 'hijacked'.

Joe  can't simply enter  demonstrably  false  info into the WHOIS
database and expect there to never ever be any negative consequences
as a result of that.

The fact the data is public could serve as a deterrant to entering
obviously false info.

--
-J