[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 19 09:16:54 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> Can you point me
>> in the right direction for what it would take to get a hold
>> of an archive of IPv4 registration data for the purpose of
>> simulating the action of proposal
>> 103 versus the existing IPv6 policy?
>
> How is a simulation of IPv4 registrations going to illuminate
> a change to the IPv6 policy.

Hi Michael,

My intention is to simulate the action over time of both the current
IPv6 allocation policy and in the policy I've proposed by mapping the
actual IPv4 allocations into what that chain of allocations might have
looked like had they occurred under these policies. I wish to start
with the IPv4 data because that's likely to yield results closer to
correct than if I try to generate some sort of randomized data set.

The simulation will require making certain assumptions about the
mapping from IPv4 to IPv6, so I intend to make several reasonable sets
of assumptions for each in order to see how that changes the results.
While the results won't be perfect, it should be possible to identify
patterns in the results which validate or refute this proposal's
claims about address waste and routing table consumption.

> This proposal is just a bad idea in so many ways.

I'm sorry you feel that way. While I respect that the radical nature
of the proposed change would reasonably make anyone suggest that we
_proceed with care_, I hope that the AC elects to move the proposal
forward so that the implications can be analyzed, discussed and should
they ultimately prove persuasive, adopted by ARIN.

By my count it's now 5 enthusiastic, 1 opposed until he sees some data
that justifies the proposal's claims, and you. I would respectfully
suggest that the count merits bringing the proposal forward for formal
discussion and presentation, regardless of whether its current form is
likely to be adopted. We owe it to ourselves to start thinking about
the issues this proposal raises while the IPv6 allocation count is
still small.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004