[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Wed May 6 12:54:19 EDT 2009

> Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:06:34 -0500
> From: "Kevin Kargel" <kkargel at polartel.com>

Unfortunately, that claim is simply -not- true.

FIRST, you have not shown that there is, in actual fact, 'all that UNUSED,
_allocated_, IPv4 address space.  Just because it is unrouted and unreachable
on the 'public internet' does -not- mean that it is "unused".  Allocations
were available for 'non-connected' use.

I =will= grant that it is "generally believed to be true" that there are
non-trivial amounts of addresses in blocks that are not being actively used
for anything.

HOWEVER, even accepting as "given" that there are such 'idle' blocks, you are
asserting a particular "why" for those blocks being 'idle', *without* any
direct evidence to support that assertation.

I can think of at least three other reasons why any particular block, or sub-
block of addrsses "could" be sitting idle.