[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Fri May 8 15:04:24 EDT 2009

On 8 May 2009 stephen at sprunk.org wrote:

> Kevin Kargel wrote:
> > I believe the proof of what I am talking about is all of the unused IPv4 space that is not being returned so that it can be held as a speculative
> > commodity.  Inaction in itself is a proof.
> >

> You are assigning a motive without proof.  Yes, there is a lot of space
> out there that could be returned and hasn't been.  I believe that in the
> vast majority of cases it is abandoned, forgotten, or is being used
> inefficiently and there is insufficient motivation to renumber.  I have
> seen all of these cases in the wild many, many times; I have _never_
> been told "we won't return that space because we're hoping to sell it
> one day."
>
> My motivation for supporting liberalized transfers is to apply a
> financial incentive to correct all of the problems above that I _have_
> seen.  If companies hear that they can get money for giving up space,
> many (but not all) of them are going to do an inventory and find out
> what they have but don't actually need so that they can cash in.  Would
> I prefer altruistic motivation?  Certainly.  We've been trying that for
> a couple of decades now, and it has resulted in a few returns, but
> nowhere near as many as I'd hoped -- or as many as the community will
> need in a few years.  It's time to quit pretending that altruism is
> sufficient.

Random thought of the day --  What about an IP deposit, like a returnable
bottle deposit?  Make a deposit with ARIN when you get your IP, get it
back (plus interest?) when you return it.  This money would not go to
ARIN; it would be more like an escrow account, but it would be motivation
for people with unused space to return it and get there nickels back.

I don't think it would be possible to make this retroactive, though.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.