[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy (Using the Emergency PDP)

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Mar 26 19:50:04 EDT 2009

      On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, David Farmer wrote:
    > 2. Other comments about the removal of the 3 year sunset clause...

Every single sentence in the NRPM could have a sunset clause, doubling the
size of the document and requiring that every part of it be constantly
maintained.  Since the public _already has_ the capability to roll back
any part of the NRPM at any time, or to override any previously-enacted
sunset clause at any time, sunset clauses are no-ops.

    > 1. 2008-6 included the following language, "Number resources may only be
    > received under RSA", and I don't see that anywhere in the 2009-1 language.

8.1, paragraph 2, among others.

ARIN does not give resources to organizations that do not sign an RSA.
That doesn't need to be restated in every paragraph.

    > If you assume that all resources assigned through the NPRM are covered by
    > the RSA then I might agree this is not a "material change."

Correct.

    > 2. Within 2008-6 the title of section 8.4 was "Emergency Transfer Policy for
    > IPv4 Addresses".  2009-1 doesn't include any language to limit this
    > to IPv4 resources only.

Is there a perceived problem there?  Is there a perceived need to
transfer IPv6 addresses or ASNs?  If so, is that more problematic than
IPv4 addresses?

    > If the Board intended this to include IPv6 and ANS resources,
    > then why keep the Mergers and Acquisitions section?

That was indeed the subject of no little discussion, as I imagine
you'll find when you read the meeting minutes.

                                -Bill