[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy (Using the Emergency PDP)

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:54:38 EDT 2009

Bill Woodcock wrote:
>     > 2. Within 2008-6 the title of section 8.4 was "Emergency Transfer Policy for
>     > IPv4 Addresses".  2009-1 doesn't include any language to limit this
>     > to IPv4 resources only.
>
> Is there a perceived problem there?  Is there a perceived need to
> transfer IPv6 addresses or ASNs?  If so, is that more problematic than
> IPv4 addresses?

I heard a number of people express the opinion that we don't want to set
a permanent precedent allowing transfers of IPv6 (and ASN).  Both 2008-2
and 2008-6 were very explicit that transfers were only being allowed as
a result of the extraordinary circumstance of IPv4 exhaustion, and that
such transfers would not be allowed for any other type of number resource.

I believe it would be appropriate to restore such a limitation to
section 8.3 of 2009-1.

-Scott