[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-4: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Mar 24 15:54:59 EDT 2009

Leo Bicknell wrote:

> While this proposal does not have a "sunset clause" it was designed
> to automatically sunset.
>
> Under this policy it is perfectly acceptable for folks to bid $0 (they
> only want IPv4 resources if they are voluntarily returned to ARIN), or
> not to bid at all (they don't want resources until we can return to
> normal allocations).
>
> ARIN staff will only be paying for the return of address space while
> there are non-zero bids.

Why don't we combine 2009-4 and 2009-2? ARIN could just use its
remaining stock of address space and sell it to the highest bidder via
the policy in 2009-4.

Clearly as the numbers run out, the prices will get higher and higher
and since "the highest bidder" is going to be who gets IPv4 space
*after* the runout, we could all get experience now with who does and
doesn't end up with space with that as the allocation policy.

I'm sure ARIN could find something creative to do with the excess funds
that might be generated.

Matthew Kaufman