[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-4: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Mar 24 15:21:22 EDT 2009

In a message written on Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:13:37PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I also strongly oppose a policy like this that does not
> contain a sunset clause.  Once a tipping point is reached
> in IPv6 penetration, IPv4 will be in surplus and I don't
> want to see ARIN paying for addresses that 6 months later
> will be worthless.

While this proposal does not have a "sunset clause" it was designed
to automatically sunset.

Under this policy it is perfectly acceptable for folks to bid $0 (they
only want IPv4 resources if they are voluntarily returned to ARIN), or
not to bid at all (they don't want resources until we can return to
normal allocations).

ARIN staff will only be paying for the return of address space while
there are non-zero bids.

So if there is no more demand for IPv4, there are no more bids, and thus
ARIN ceases to purchase.  The policy automatically comes to an end.
Folks can bid $0, which will only be matched if space is voluntarily
returned to ARIN.

While the policy does not provide a specific timeframe (and indeed,
I think it is inappropriate to do so) it directs ARIN to offer
payments to recover space in proportion to the number of binding
bids received.  I see no way under this policy for ARIN to buy space
six months in advance, or to end up with a significant amount of
recovered but unwanted space.