[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Sunset 2008-6 on schedule

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 20 15:14:57 EDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> OK, but I still am opposed to removal of a sunsetting
> clause on this change - thus I still fully support
> your proposal.

On this, we agree.  Thanks for your support.

> I also can't see how this proposal hitting the public before
> the board's action is an error on your part.  YOU didn't post
> your proposal to the mailing list, ARIN AKA  Member Services
> did.  You merely sent a proposal to them.

My proposal was based on privileged advanced communication
of the boards decision to the AC.  Once a proposal is submitted,
staff has a rigid and limited timeframe by which they MUST send
it to PPML.  I should have been aware of this timeline and should
have held my submission accordingly.  Staff did what they are
required to do.

> If they HAD IMMEDIATELY documented this, it would not have
> mattered if the proposal had gone out "early"

This is a very recent decision by the board, and, it is not
unreasonable for them to take a few days to develop the
announcement.  It is not staff's prerogative to communicate
the boards decisions to the public.

Again, I want to make it very clear to everyone that the only
inappropriate action here was that I submitted my proposal
earlier than I should have.

While I do not agree with the board's decision, they have
acted within their authority in a manner they believe to be
best for the community.  I believe they have taken this action
with integrity and all appropriate deliberation. I expect they
will announce the decision shortly. I expect that would
happen with or without my proposal.

The timing error here is mine and mine alone and I really
want to avoid any unnecessary and invalid accusations
being hurled at staff or the board for my error.

So, everyone, please have a little patience and wait for the
Board announcement.  I apologize for letting the cat out of
the bag early and causing all of this confusion. If you really
must send flaming accusations to someone for the timing
on this, please send them just to me.

Owen