[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Sunset 2008-6 on schedule

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Mar 20 15:53:59 EDT 2009

Owen,

staff could have contacted you right after you submitted your proposal and
reminded you that the boards' decision hadn't been posted yet.  Or more
obviously, asked you "what decision" so you could have sent out a
followup to the ppl yourself before the post was made.

Owen, when your running an organization, you take the blame for the
orgs screwups.  You aren't running ARIN, ARIN staff is running ARIN.
They take the blame for the timing mistake on the proposal release, NOT you.

Hasn't anyone learned from the US's newest President Obama?  How many times
has
he stated that the current economic crisis was NOT something he created,
BUT he is in charge now, so HE is responsible.  Owen, YOU aren't in charge,
you are blameless on the timing - and you deserve kudos on objecting
to this board decision in any case.  If there was some legal problem
with the proposal the board discovered at the last minute they should have
halted proceedings on it and gone back to the submitter and worked with
him on it.

I highly doubt that anything the board says to justify their decision
will pass muster on the ppml.  Even if the proposal author comes out
in support of what the board did, I still would oppose this action - I
would rather have seen the entire proposal scratched and a new one
submitted to go through the usual discussion without the sunset clause.

Sunset clauses are VERY COMMONLY used to get controversal and somewhat
objectionable public policy past the voters.  There's almost certainly
people who would have changed their position on the original proposal
if it lacked a sunset clause - otherwise a sunset clause would never
have been put in it in the first place.  To pass such "legislation" with
a clause and then remove the clause immediately after passage is unheard of.

Ted