[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] PolicyProposal: Transfer listingservice

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sat Jun 13 15:25:41 EDT 2009

> During the housing boom of 2004-2006, I saw (in my own
> neighborhood) a number of For Sale By Owner homes going
> through craigslist - they NEVER touched the "official"
> multiple listing service, never paid any fees for that, never
> paid any fees to any Realtor, never paid fees to craigslist.

I think that we have now established that a listing service
for IP address blocks already does exist, so there is no
point in any further discussions about creating one. If anyone
out there wants to try to compete with craigslist, they are
welcome to try.

I still oppose ARIN getting involved in any listing service
or brokerage or any activity that facilitates address
buyers and sellers from getting together. At most, ARIN
could maintain a list on a webpage indicating which listing
services are understood to have address blocks available.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. craigslist and Ebay have cornered the market in listing
items for resale. Why does anyone think that there is any
point in duplicating their work, but limiting the commodity
to only spare ARIN IPv4 address blocks?