[arin-ppml] A modest proposal for IPv6 address allocations

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Jun 4 20:33:26 EDT 2009

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> The fact of the matter is we've lived with scarcity so long it's
> considered normal. Scarcity results expensive and undesirable behavior.
> We don't have the play that game (with v6) anymore and we shouldn't make
> our customers do it either.

While quite true, that doesnt mean we should go overboard in the
opposite direction. That could have the ironic effect of causing the
much later users to deal with similar scarcity issues as ones we have now.

Furthermore, global DFZ routing slots are not only still scarce (and
expected to continue to be even more so), they are cumulatively
expensive as well.

Giving all and sundry numerically indistinguishable space prevents
practical filtering for those who would want to.

/32 with 65k /48 customers produces the result that while the customer
will just about never need more, any SP that enjoys success will likely
need more prefixes.

The prefixes that the SP gets are the ones going into the DFZ.

How many /48 customers will justify more space for an SP after initial
allocation of /32?

How many /56?

As it stands, what SP should assign to customers are what they can use
to justify more space, assuming they have no objections to obtaining it.

This applies equally to v4 as v6.

Joe