[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Protective Usage TransferPolicyforIPv4 Address

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Feb 14 01:06:57 EST 2009

On 13 Feb 2009 Danny McPherson wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2009, at 8:37 AM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> >
> > IXPs all over the world received a really valuable service from
> > Bill, for a long time, for free, before the RIRs existed, and _long_
> > before  the RIRs knew what an IXP was or how to serve it.
>
> I agree it was useful, absent some formal policy.
>
> However, anyone concerned with these types of predicaments
> and whether they should or should not be considered with
> risk assessment and business operations planning might want
> to have a look at this EP.net /16, and the L-root fiasco
> just a year ago:
>
> <http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog43/presentations/Brown_Light_rootL
> .pdf
>  >
> <http://www.circleid.com/posts/852211_uprooting_the_dns_root/>

These are interesting

> I'm not saying [the word] of any policies were violated,
> but you'd best be factoring these sorts of business decisions
> into your operations planning, whether ARIN policies exists
> around them or not.
>
> > No comment on the present predicament, but historically, this was a
> > valuable service, provided for little or no money, when no
> > alternatives existed.
>
> But the present predicament is what folks need to
> consider, not intentions of a decade ago, unfortunately.

In the present predicament, in your opinion is a change in
ARIN policy called for?  If so what?

=======
David Farmer				     Email:
farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-
0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:
612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-
1818