[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Protective Usage TransferPolicyforIPv4 Address

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Fri Feb 13 12:55:07 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 8:37 AM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> IXPs all over the world received a really valuable service from
> Bill, for
> a long time, for free, before the RIRs existed, and _long_ before
> the RIRs
> knew what an IXP was or how to serve it.

I agree it was useful, absent some formal policy.

However, anyone concerned with these types of predicaments
and whether they should or should not be considered with
risk assessment and business operations planning might want
to have a look at this EP.net /16, and the L-root fiasco
just a year ago:

<http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog43/presentations/Brown_Light_rootL.pdf

<http://www.circleid.com/posts/852211_uprooting_the_dns_root/>

I'm not saying [the word] of any policies were violated,
but you'd best be factoring these sorts of business decisions
into your operations planning, whether ARIN policies exists
around them or not.

> No comment on the present predicament, but historically, this was a
> valuable service, provided for little or no money, when no
> alternatives
> existed.

But the present predicament is what folks need to
consider, not intentions of a decade ago, unfortunately.

-danny