[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Protective Usage Transfer Policy for IPv4 Address

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Tue Feb 10 10:48:47 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Eliot Lear <lear at cisco.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/09 1:58 PM, Member Services wrote:
> > Policy statement:
> >
> > Protective Usage Transfer Policy for IPv4 Address
> >
> > Critical infrastructure providers may appeal to ARIN for final review
> > and decision of any full or partial transfer of IPv4 address space that
> > has been in use serving the community for consecutive periods of time.
> >

> I don't fully understand what is written here.  Is the issue that when
> an end user network offering critical resources changes providers they
> wish to retain PA space?

In this case, CI is likely representing commercial Internet Exchanges (IX).
Right now, I believe that EP.NET is provisioning addrs to exchanges. I am
guessing that this is a policy to insure continuity in any sort of exchange
of those particular addresses blocks, so as to not disrupt IX operations. I
don't think this is any sort of CI allocation issue, related to micro
allocation policy for example.

Interesting.

Not speaking for Chris, or EP,

Marty