[arin-ppml] Effect of ARIN's Letters

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Thu Apr 30 19:21:00 EDT 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Tony Valenti wrote:

> I personally would love for us to be able to provision new equipment
> on IPV6, but the fact remains, as a small-time web hosting service
> provider, if I put websites on an IPV6 address, according to Network
> World (http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/279477/ipv6_fails_reach_5_percent_internet
>  ), 95% of the internet would not be able to talk to our gear, and
> of course, we'd go out of business if we told customers "Don't worry
> about your website and email being down - the most tech savy 5% of
> the internet can still email you".

Following up on Joe's comment that running dual stack is going to be
de rigeur for a while.

I understand why you might want to start deploying IPv6 in addition to
IPv4 connectivity. At this point, I don't at all understand why
someone would shut down IPv4 while doing so. That point will come (see
previous note on this list about a possible projection for the next 20
years), but it will come when business requirements don't support IPv4
any more.