[arin-ppml] Effect of ARIN's Letters

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Apr 30 19:30:28 EDT 2009

Tony Valenti wrote:

> I'm still convinced that in order for IPV6 to be successful, the ISPs
> like ComCast, Verizon, COX, and Qwest have to make the first move and
> say "We're going IPV6 _ONLY_".

You won't see any ISP's claiming to go v6-only for quite some time. I
don't think that is feasible.

> Once those numbers have flipped and 95%
> of "outgoing" internet is on IPV6, then I won't be scared about IPV6.

IPv6 is nothing to be afraid of. That being said, it's nice to hear this
 type of legitimate operational feedback from a hosting provider.

If you are careful, you can turn up new sites with IPv6 alongside IPv4,
with (what I've seen) no impact to IPv4 only users.

Hopefully there isn't anyone claiming that the world has to 'switch' to
IPv6 publicly. That would be quite a detriment to the little traction
IPv6 currently has.

IPv6 is the future of the public Internet, but we will transition into
it, not switch to it. There are already successful transition mechanisms
in place, and new ones continuously being worked on.

I'd recommend to you to enable v6 along side v4 on a few sites in a
lab/pilot project, and go from there. During my transition, I kept a
paper folder with milestones of each achievement in lab/pilot setups,
and once I was satisfied, I turned things on in production. I have had
no ill side-effects.

Steve