[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 7 14:32:12 EDT 2009

>> I don't think this is necessarily the case, especially as it
>> pertains to legacy IP's, where they are not renting the car,
>> but someone gave them the care to use for as long as they
>> wanted free of charge.
>>

> By definition, legacy holders never requested IP addresses on
> the basis of need.

As a legacy holder, I can tell you that is simply not true. Most, if
not all
legacy requests were based on need. The amount given
relative to need has changed, and, the definition of qualified need
has evolved over time, but, for as long as I can remember (which
goes back a fair distance, but, not quite to 8 bit addressing and
the days prior to IP) requests were based on need.

Owen