[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

John Schnizlein schnizlein at isoc.org
Tue Apr 7 13:55:33 EDT 2009

Not to interfere with the back and forth, but fact-check below:

On 2009Apr7, at 1:41 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> From: Kevin Kargel [mailto:kkargel at polartel.com]
>>>
>>> From: Ted Mittelstaedt [mailto:tedm at ipinc.net]
>>> Right here is the problem.
>>>
>>> Holder A has his IP numbers purely due to his requesting the numbers
>>> the numbers on the basis of need.  In other words, the numbers were
>>> never "his" to give.  He's "renting" the use of them, just like
>>> you would
>>> rent a car. We all would like renumeration for returning our
>>> rental cars,
>>> but that's not what we agreed to when we rented the car.
>>
>> I don't think this is necessarily the case, especially as it
>> pertains to legacy IP's, where they are not renting the car,
>> but someone gave them the care to use for as long as they
>> wanted free of charge.
>
> By definition, legacy holders never requested IP addresses on
> the basis of need.

Not true in my experience.  On behalf of two different employers, in
the late 1980s and early 1990s I requested several class-B network
numbers using an email form that requested information on current and
planned number of hosts and subnets for the purpose of determining
what number and class of address prefixes would be allocated.

John