[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Mon Apr 6 17:35:35 EDT 2009

On
> Behalf Of Ted Mittelstaedt
> Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:09 PM
> To: 'Kevin Kargel'; 'Leo Vegoda'; 'ARIN PPML'
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

<snip>

> Unfortunately, many of these are operational, not policy, issues.
> Particularly the fee proposals, an issue near to my heart (as I
> don't work at a large ISP who gets the "Costco discount" on IPv4)
>
> Ted

I'm not sure what you mean by Costco discount. If you mean that there
should be a direct cost per IP address that should remain consistent
across total assignment sizes, then I understand your point.

I always find these types of comments to be a bit grating and tend to
diminish the dialog instead of promote discussion. There is no place in
the policy that gives anyone a discount. If you have more assignments,
you pay more than others who have fewer assignments. This is not a
discount.

If viewed by cost/IP, then the cost/IP for larger orgs (ISPs generally
speaking) is less than for smaller orgs. This has been long standing
policy. If you want to change this. Make a proposal and get consensus.
Don't degrade one group to make yourself feel better.

- Brian