[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Apr 6 16:56:45 EDT 2009

My alternative is as follows:

1) ARIN continue to use moral persuasion on the legacy holders who
have excessive assignments but are not paying anything to renumber
or reduce their utilizations and return blocks.

2) ARIN embark on a project to identify abandoned and stale unused
IPv4, and return it to the assignment pool for reassignment.

3) ARIN institute a "bounty" program where someone who identifies
and provides supporting paperwork to "prove" a specific IPv4 block
is truly abandoned OR is in use ILLEGALLY is given a credit on their
yearly bill. (ie: the person here is basically doing the work that ARIN
staff
would have to do to certify an abandoned block is really abandoned)

4) ARIN modify pricing schedules to more closely bring prices of
IPv4 addressing in alignment across ALL allocations - in other words,
remove the discount for ISP's with large quantities of IPv4 - and
institute a temporary "credit" program to those ISP's who return
blocks they are already paying for.

Check the current price list - the largest holders pay the least
amount of money per IPv4 address.  Big disincentive to returning
IPv4.

5) ARIN continue to apply good stewardship to IPv4 from these 4 sources
such as combining small blocks to larger aggregates before reassignment.

I don't see these alternatives in any way as creating a transfer
market - yet I see them as being able to generate reusable IPv4.
I would certainly like to have ARIN give them a try and prove they
DON'T work before embarking on a transfer program.

Ted