[arin-ppml] FW: Timeline for 2008-6 and 2009-1

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri Apr 3 12:33:55 EDT 2009

John Curran wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
>>> [From: jcurran]
>>>    The Board ultimately carries the responsibility to determine
>>>    the policies of the ARIN, although this has to date always
>>>    been the result of ratifying the recommendation of the ARIN
>>>    Advisory Council.  The AC exists to advise the Board on policy
>>>    matters, and as such the Board considers its recommendations
>>>    very seriously.
>>>
>>>    The issues raised by 2009-1 should be discussed here on this
>>>    list, at public policy meeting in San Antonio, and by the AC
>>>    in their deliberations.  The Board will need to weigh all of
>>>    these to determine if any policy changes are needed.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> /John
>>>
>> Wow..  That did a pretty good job of explaining the board's
>> attitude.  Wow.
>
> Kevin -
>
>    For clarity, it's not practical for me to engage the entire
>    ARIN Board on a hours notice to review each email that I
>    send, so it's not safe to consider the above an official
>    statement of the Board.  I do think it reflects the Board's
>    view (or would have put a personal disclaimer on it), but
>    can't guarantee it, and hence you should consider it to be
>    "John's attitude" as opposed to "the board's attitude"...
>
>    Meta-comment on pedigree of my email aside, I am curious
>    about your "Wow" comment.  This shouldn't actually be a
>    big surprise, as the Board is ultimately responsible for
>    the actions of organization, and with that comes the duty
>    to ensure fidelity to the mission.  While we have had the
>    benefit of excellent advice from the AC over the years
>    (and hope it to continue for many more to come :-), it is
>    indeed the ARIN Board's duty to ensure resource policy
>    which best meets the organization's mission.

So, even though there is plenty of opposition to this policy, it doesn't
matter what anyone thinks and it's going to get adopted anyway. Someone
must have threatened to challenge ARIN's right to manage IP addresses
for this to be pushed through without a care in the world of what's best
for the community at large. That's why we're here, we're the community.
I personally don't care what's best for ARIN, only what best serves the
community.

The board may be entitled to do whatever they want, but breaking the
illusion that what we think matters is a dangerous road to go down.

~Seth