[arin-ppml] FW: Timeline for 2008-6 and 2009-1

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Apr 3 12:03:42 EDT 2009

> On Apr 3, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
>> [From: jcurran]
>>    The Board ultimately carries the responsibility to determine
>>    the policies of the ARIN, although this has to date always
>>    been the result of ratifying the recommendation of the ARIN
>>    Advisory Council.  The AC exists to advise the Board on policy
>>    matters, and as such the Board considers its recommendations
>>    very seriously.
>>
>>    The issues raised by 2009-1 should be discussed here on this
>>    list, at public policy meeting in San Antonio, and by the AC
>>    in their deliberations.  The Board will need to weigh all of
>>    these to determine if any policy changes are needed.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> /John
>>
> Wow..  That did a pretty good job of explaining the board's
> attitude.  Wow.

Kevin -

   For clarity, it's not practical for me to engage the entire
   ARIN Board on a hours notice to review each email that I
   send, so it's not safe to consider the above an official
   statement of the Board.  I do think it reflects the Board's
   view (or would have put a personal disclaimer on it), but
   can't guarantee it, and hence you should consider it to be
   "John's attitude" as opposed to "the board's attitude"...

   Meta-comment on pedigree of my email aside, I am curious
   about your "Wow" comment.  This shouldn't actually be a
   big surprise, as the Board is ultimately responsible for
   the actions of organization, and with that comes the duty
   to ensure fidelity to the mission.  While we have had the
   benefit of excellent advice from the AC over the years
   (and hope it to continue for many more to come :-), it is
   indeed the ARIN Board's duty to ensure resource policy
   which best meets the organization's mission.

/John