[arin-ppml] Transfer Proposals

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Sep 30 11:49:46 EDT 2008

In a message written on Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:15:33AM -0500, mack wrote:
> Wow, I did a closer read and you are correct.
> There is nothing in either the policy manual or
> the RSA that requires the return of unused resources
> if they are justified and later not needed.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2050.html

Section 3.1:

] IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met.
] The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any IP assignments once it
] is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer
] exists.  In the event of address invalidation, reasonable efforts
] will be made by the appropriate registry to inform the organization
] that the addresses have been returned to the free pool of IPv4
] address space.

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four17

] 4.1.7. RFC 2050
]
] ARIN takes guidance from allocation and assignment policies and
] procedures set forth in RFC 2050. These guidelines were developed to
] meet the needs of the larger Internet community in conserving scarce
] IPv4 address space and allowing continued use of existing Internet
] routing technologies.

http://www.arin.net/registration/agreements/rsa.pdf

] 7. POLICIES
]
] Pursuant to ARIN's Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process
] ("IRPEP"), ARIN maintains the Policies and may amend the Policies,
] implement new policies (which once implemented, will be considered
] Policies), or make certain Policies obsolete. Applicant acknowledges
] and agrees it has read, understands, and agrees to be bound by and
] comply with the Policies, as amended.  ARIN may, at any time in its
] sole and absolute discretion, amend the Policies or create new
] Policies and such amendments or new Policies shall be binding upon
] Applicant immediately after they are posted on the Website.

RSA->Policies->2050->Unused IP allocations can be invalidated.