[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Sep 29 17:46:28 EDT 2008

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> I can easily outline a proposal, I don't think ARIN needs to do it.  ARIN is already doing the job and doing a darned fine job at that.
>>
>> Things are great the way they are.  We don't need to change it.
>>

> In other words, there is already a system in place for transfering address blocks which has been exercised numerous times. Any organization which no longer needs addresses, returns them to ARIN.

Why would they?  After all, they might need them at some point in the
future, there is a zero or near-zero holding cost, and there's always
the potential for selling them via a shell corporation (as some folks
are already doing).

(Shameless plug: 2007-14 may partially solve this problem, if it ever
gets adopted.)

> Any organization that needs addresses, applies to ARIN and gets some, which may have earlier been allocated to a different organization.

What happens when ARIN has no more address space to give out in 3-4 years?

> No new policy is needed.

On that, we disagree.  IMHO, we certainly need to do _something_;
however, I'm not willing to subscribe to the Politician's Fallacy and
support either of the current transfer proposals simply because they
would constitute "doing something".