[arin-ppml] LRSA taking back addresses

Eric Westbrook arin-ppml at westbrook.com
Fri Sep 12 13:09:15 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> The concept of ARIN reducing services for number resources that
> are actually being used by a legacy holder is sufficiently alien that
> it likely just didn't occur to those involved in drafting the LRSA...
>
> /John
> (personal guess only)

Makes sense.

I tend to think of legal documents a little bit like software, in at least
one respect -- careful handling of unlikely input conditions is a healthy
practice.

I will suggest that §10(b) be slightly amended to read, "ARIN will take no
action to reduce the services provided for Included Number Resources,
whether utilized by the Legacy Applicant or not."  I think that would more
accurately reflect the intent with which it was apparently written, and
would alleviate a big concern of many unsigned legacy holders.  I'll
correspond to ARIN Counsel with that recommendation; my thanks to those who
provided pointers.

I'm surprised §10(b) in specific isn't more frequently pointed to when these
concerns come up.  In its intent, at least, it removes a big worry many
legacy holders seem to have.  Perhaps better illumination and clarification
of that clause can help us all reach higher comfort levels.

Thanks again,
Eric