[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Sep 10 17:27:35 EDT 2008

Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:49:35 -0400, "Robert E. Seastrom"
> <ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:
>
>> That said, I think quibbling about $25 vs $100 for the yearly fee is really kind of missing the point - ARIN has been charging $100/year for directory services for ASNs for a long time.  That's $100/year to keep your OrgID warm and make contact periodically, it has nothing to do with the size of the allocation or number of objects your OrgID points at...  if you (like I) have two legacy /24s and a legacy ASN, your cost per year is still $100.
>>

> True, but the idea here is *outreach* to people who are used to paying $0 per year.  Any way we can reduce the perception of a barrier will help induce them to sign.  Any barriers we leave up will do the opposite.  Like it or not, outside of ARIN the only Internet registration service most people are used to is the domain name registry, so that becomes the standard of comparison.  By that standard, $25 is reasonable and $100 is outlandish, no matter what those who have been paying $100 for years may think.
>
> In that perspective, I think the $25 idea, which more than one person on list has considered reasonable, will help further the goal of signing up all legacy holders who are still breathing.  It's not a "quibble".  IMHO.

Personally, I think that we need to do a better job of pointing out that
the $100/org fee is for an unlimited number of objects.  I think most
folks would prefer paying $100/org for an unlimited number of domains ,
rather than $25 (or whatever) per domain and would grasp the idea quite
quickly...  We should also emphasize the other things that ARIN does
with that money, as opposed to domain registrars that just provide a web
order form, pass on the request and money to someone else to process,
and take a small cut for themselves.

The idea of $25/object (not per org) is not unreasonable and would make
things more directly comparable to domain fees, but it calls for a
significant change in the way ARIN does billing.  I disagree that
different orgs, whether under RSA or LRSA, should pay different rates
for the same services.  If we change the model for one, we should change
it for all of them.  Ultimately, however, the fee schedule is up to the
BoT and members, not PPML.